Saturday, December 13, 2014

Chillin' on the Edge

Intermission. Coffee break. Breathing space. Deadlock.
These are all synonyms for the word respite, according to Thesaurus.com. 
I disappeared from my blog for a long four and a half months. It wasn't a planned respite. It turns out that all of the above terms applied during my absence.


I've shared before that I am a delayed-reaction person.  I've known this for years.  I do a lot of introspection and retrospection.  Too much 'spection going on!! But that's how I usually discover important life gems.

I learned quite some time ago that when I write, it needs to be from the heart. Something that really means something to me. Otherwise, I won't be happy with it, and my readers won't get much from it either.

I think I finally understand two big reasons that I've been afflicted by the dreaded writer's block!

Many of my previous posts were quite deep and personal! I put a lot of myself into the lighter stories too.  But I got to the point that I needed a break from thinking and feeling so much.  My heart needed a little siesta.


For a few weeks, I didn't worry about it. I joined a new bowling league. I made some new social networking friends and caught up with some old ones. I enjoyed some precious time with my kids and grandchild.

When I thought I was ready to start my next story, I found that I didn't have much in me.  I'd planned for a while that my next post would be about my daughter.  She's the love of my life!  I got a good start on it, then I got stuck. I couldn't seem to focus.

I felt the pressure. "I am a blogger. I haven't posted a story since July 20! We are now well into Fall!"

I think this has something to do with it:
The first week of September, my mother-in-law was taken to the hospital by ambulance, with breathing problems.  She is ninety years old and has a serious heart condition.

I felt the raw emotions again just now, remembering that day.  It took me a long time to be able to talk about it without tears coming to the surface.  It affected me a lot more than I even knew at the time.

I look back and realize that I've been sitting on the edge of my seat, figuratively and sometimes literally, since then.
(My husband and I have been living with his mother the past two years to assist her.)
Mom is now in a nursing facility for further treatment and physical therapy, after being hospitalized again during all of Thanksgiving week.

The story about my baby, my only daughter, can't be half-baked. It needs my full attention. Most who know me are aware of my pre-existing distraction problem. I usually make fun of myself about that, but sheesh!  I just haven't had enough emotional and mental attention to go around.  I tried!

A good friend shared the following poem with me. Yes!  It's exactly what I needed.




I realize that there are different schools of thought about waiting to write until you feel it, versus forcing self to compose, and keeping at it until you get it right. The waiting strategy works for me.

Many of my stories are gifts.  They are gifts to myself and to my family members and friends. Some of those special people are still here and some have passed.

We all spend much of life doing the things we have to do and need to do. My blog is something I want to do.  For me.  Because I want to. Because I love it.

We are hoping that Mom will be strong enough to come back home soon.  That's the plan.
One of these days I'll post a story about her.  I have to. She is one of my few true heroes in life!

Until then, I'll share whatever that still small voice prompts me to share. Or that loud obnoxious inner thing that won't leave me alone until I write it!  And when I have nothing, I'll post nothing.        
     
                                         

                       

                          I get to choose!
                          I get to be my own boss about this!
                          For a while, I considered firing myself.              
           
                                     


But the boss can't fire herself, she can only walk away from the job.  Then she can come back whenever she is ready.  Here I am.
















18 comments:

  1. Oh Diana, i love it! Patiently awaiting your next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Anonymous! The boss thinks you deserve a raise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Diana, welcome back, my friend! I completely understand how life can suck the creativeness (is that a word?) out of you. Christmas Blessings to you and your lovely family. I love this post and as always... Love you muchly!
    ~Taffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Taffy. Creativeness is indeed a word. I really appreciate your welcome back and the fact that you are still, and always, my cheerleader. It means more than you know! Merry Christmas Sweetie!!

      Delete
  4. I love this blog is so optimistic and happy
    happy Christmas
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it, Anonymous. Thanks for taking your time to read it! And yes, even though I sometimes write about difficult things in life, I am still an optimist!

      Delete
  5. Diana,,
    I totally agree with waiting to write and writing from the heart! Different things work for different people, but you have to go with what works for you... Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life would be boring if we were all the same. Thank you Ish, for your encouragement!

      Delete
  6. Never felt this writers block anytime.
    When I have a subject, I write :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haddock, I wish I could say the same.
      Thank you for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  7. Keep up the good work firefly, lighten the world one speckle at a time. Like what you are doing on Twitter too, more and more followers every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr. Cartwright, great to see your comment and thanks so much! I still give you the credit for boosting my confidence to start my blog when I did! I'm forever grateful to you.

      Delete
  8. Hi Di! I do hope your mother-in-law will improve enough to be home for the holidays.
    Your blog IS a gift, to we, the readers. It's not required, or demanded. It can ever-other-day (which wouldn't be asking too much, would it? lol!) or twice a year. It's always your prerogative, and dependent on how you feel, what you want to share, how deep you want to delve. That's the beauty of it - you are in total control. I just want to thank you for sharing, for being honest, open, caring, and insightful. I shall look forward to many more entries, whenever they appear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Anonymous comment-leaver,
    Your words mean so much to me! Let me get busy on my next post RIGHT NOW!
    My MIL is improving in her health and strength, little by little. Thank you for mentioning her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're writing again! I love reading your blog, I definitely feel like every entry is a gift you share with those fortunate enough to read them.
    I really enjoyed the Bukowski poem. "If it doesn't come bursting out of you, in spite of everything, don't do it."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I know you! :-) Thank you so much, you truly made my day!! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I have read some of your blogs and they are wonderful. Don't want to lose touch with you so I will leave my email address with you on SC.
    Luce

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for reading my stories Luce! Encouraging words like yours help to keep me going.
    I got your message w/address. Yes, let us stay in touch please!

    ReplyDelete