Sunday, July 20, 2014

Chat with a Stranger

This is Mr. R
   Photo credit:The Washington Post

Something happened last Monday night that I have been thinking about all week.

I was at Wal Mart much later than usual. It was 10:15 pm. When I got to the entrance, it didn't automatically open.  I thought "This is weird. Is it broken?"
The two sliding glass doors had about a three inch gap between them. I just couldn't squeeze through! (Ha.)

A man came up about a minute later. He asked me what was wrong.  I said I wasn't sure, but the doors weren't budging! We saw people shopping and all looked normal in the store.
Then he and I noticed a sign on the left side with the store hours on it. I said "I thought it was open 24 hours." The sign said to use the other entrance after 10 pm. I had never known about that, and my new acquaintance hadn't either.

He had white/grey hair, a beard and walked with a cane. He said "I hope I can get a handicapped parking spot down on that end too. It took me long enough to convince 'em that I needed a handicapped license plate! VA, you know." He had a broad smile and a charming laugh.

The friendly stranger introduced himself.
Then he proceeded to tell me that he'd been injured in Vietnam. Marines.  He told me a couple of stories of close calls with death there, and about his good friends who were lost. He called them the real heroes, the ones who gave all.

Mr. R said that he had missed the birth of his first child when he was away at war. He was 20 years old.

I told him that even though I remembered some about what happened in Vietnam, I was a young child then. I remember seeing the news reports on TV.  I had learned a little about it in school.
Mostly, I'd heard and read stories first hand from wonderful friends I'd met through the years, in person and online.

Some of the realities of it hit me hardest when I looked at my only son when he was about nineteen, knowing that most who went were about that age.
Very heavy.

My new friend shared how powerful it had been for him to visit the Wall a few years ago. He found his buddies listed on it. He sobbed.
Someone got some pictures of him there, and they have been shared on some Veteran sites and elsewhere.

I thanked him for his service and for sharing his amazing stories with me.
Mr. R said that he's lived a great life. He admitted that it was very hard at times, but he's thankful for the experiences he's had. Never boring!

This retired Marine now has stage four cancer.  He is only in his late sixties, but he said if he dies tomorrow, he won't regret the life he lived. Semper Fi, indeed!

A chance (probably not) meeting and chat with a stranger in a parking lot really made me think. It changed my perspective! As usual, this happened when I needed it. Thank you, God.

So, thank you Mr. R, for blessing me with your friendliness, courage and phenomenal attitude! In this past week since I met you, I have already failed at staying positive and making the most of every day.
But when I think of you and your stories, I am re-inspired!







20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it, Dawn, and for your comment too.

      Delete
  2. this is very nice, by the way Im new in this english blogger community so i hope we can be good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Roli! I read your latest post on your blog tonight. I enjoyed it! You are doing well with English too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an inspiring story. I really believe everything happens for a reason and everyone we meet crosses our path for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi. Thank you! Yes, what you said is similar to part of my blog intro..."It's a gift to learn something from each person who crosses our path."

      Delete
  5. Wow! That's a sweet and short account! This is the inspiring stuff we all need to lend ears too. It's about being happy and content with yourself! Amazing Di, keep up the good work. Adding you to my read list :D
    Oh, and I blog at http://www.greatlyrandom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Syed,
      I really appreciate your kind comments! Comments like yours and the others help to keep me writing. I am looking forward to checking out your blog too.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it encounters like this that have the most power to effect us. Just yesterday I was writing out a blog post about depression and a stranger walked about and talked to me and changed everything I was thinking.

    Thanks for sharing this story :)

    mylowercaselife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome Luna. Thank you!
    I am so glad you had your own powerful encounter too.
    I think it's about hope, for one thing. And faith.
    I will certainly read your blog, I am so glad you shared the link here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for telling us about your encounter. Quite the serendipitous nature, and surely meaningful for both of you. It is amazing what we can learn, see, hear, and discover, when we take the time to listen!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, thanks once again for your support of my writing! Well, this story really fits what I wrote in the intro to my blog (above), about the people who cross our path.

      Delete
  9. Great account and observations, Lady Di..why you're one of my fave writers...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ken! Your support means so much to me!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful story! love it when things just happen like it were magic

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful observation. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you also for taking time to read it, and for leaving your comment!

      Delete
  13. Great story. Thanks Di. When I go to the VA hospital, it's nice to talk to the older veterans there. I love to hear their stories.

    ReplyDelete