Grab a cup of your favorite java and let me tell you what's on my mind now, a year into this new adventure in my life. A first-time blogger's musings.
It's been an exciting learning process to develop my writing style. I received advice and instruction from experienced writers online. It's been fun and so helpful to gain insight from them.
I'm grateful to be part of a group! I no longer feel that I'm floundering alone out in cyberspace, behind my keyboard. Authors usually understand each other. We all know the joys and burdens of having stories inside that we want to share, hoping that someone will gain something from them.
Most of all, I've learned life lessons that I wouldn't trade for anything. It's been a journey of positive change, healing and growth.
Fear
I have faced much uncertainty. Last year, I told a friend that I wanted to start a blog. He had his own website and offered to help me. I talked about it for a couple of months, without taking action. He noticed something as he got to know me better. One day he said "You really worry about what people think of you, don't you? Why?"
Oww!! Yes. Even though I've been a confident person in some ways, I really had to come to terms with life-long people pleasing issues. Taking action, plowing right through my fears, has been very freeing for me. It has literally changed my life for the better!
(Confession: several times after posting a story, I was hit with huge doubt and insecurity. It was a battle not to just delete some of them.)
Coffee Talk
My writing style is conversational. I want my readers to have a sense of sitting with a good friend to talk about life. Real life, with it's ups and downs, silly moments, times of grief. The mundane and the profound! My moods vary day to day, story to story, just like yours do. I think grammar and sentence structure are important, but not as important as an engaging coffee talk.
Catharsis More than one of my readers had this observation: some of my stories seem to be my personal catharsis. I don't know that it was my intentional motive, but maybe they were right. I have been grieving and depressed much of this past year. Adjusting to a lot of major changes in my life too. The process of writing helped me. It got some those thoughts and emotions out, instead of all jumbled up inside. It put them into perspective. A few readers truly empathized too. Priceless!
Airing dirty laundry?
I frequently write about family experiences. We're attached, ya know! I will write more stories about our wonderful and painful times together. I will do my best to never embarrass anyone. (I've usually informed and asked permission of those involved.)
One of my challenges has been to share those stories, without telling too much. The main point is often the lesson learned anyway. But I need to tell enough, so my readers have an accurate picture of what happened. I welcome your suggestions about this. I respect my loved ones and their privacy. I am not that woman who tells all in a dramatic expose'. I mean, we wouldn't want to end up on Dr. Phil someday.
Inspirational
A friend asked me why I wanted to share such personal stories publicly, instead of just journaling them.
I did some soul searching to answer that question.
For one thing, I've kept a journal since I was nine. Been there done that.
Many experienced authors advise: "Write what you know!" My life experiences are what I know best.
Most importantly- for years, I've been most inspired by biographies about people who triumphed in the face of adversity. Whether it was a miraculous recovery from near death, or the victory of a positive attitude change, I learned something helpful by reading them.
I want my writing to encourage and motivate people too! Maybe I can pay it forward now in my own way.
Let's get real
The following are quotes from author Angie Dixon:
"Being real in your writing is choosing to say what you truly think, feel and believe..."
"For each person who completely gets you and what you're saying, there may be one or one hundred who don't get your message, or don't like it..."
I am learning to be okay with that. I am moving forward with my blog!
I hope to see my ever faithful, cheerleader-readers here again next time. You are my sunshine and have kept me going! There's always room at the table for new friends to join us.
I'll bring the coffee, you bring the comments.


As one of your number one cheerleaders, I have to say, "Bravo"! Beautifully written and a lovely culmination of your first year as a Blogger.
ReplyDeletePlease keep it up, I so enjoy your insight of everyday, mundane things and then deep, life-changing moments that we all go through. You, my friend, have a succinct way of putting it all into words.
I have to admit, your blog about falling asleep in your car and talking about your "lady lumps" still makes me howl!
Love you muchly,
Taffy
Oh Taffy, you just had to bring that up, didn't you? Hahaa, so glad my humiliating moment stills makes you laugh.
DeleteYour cheering is a main reason that I kept blogging, truly!
Love you Girlfriend!
Since you are far from finished, I won't say 'well done, good and faithful servant', but I will say "Well Doing"!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Michelle! You "get me", in person and in writing. We have shared much silliness and seriousness through the years. I so appreciate your support of my writing.
DeleteI've very much enjoyed reading about you, your family, your experiences, and how you process all of it. Your style IS very readable, down-to-earth. Inciteful and humble, never preachy or condescending. Humor is, in my opinion, the magic ingredient. Incorporating it into your writings (where appropriate, of course), can make a good blog better, and a great blog, fantastic! May your second year of blogging bring even more insight, reflection, laughter, tears, and enjoyable reading to all! Thanks for allowing me along for the "ride!"
ReplyDeleteRob
Anonymous Rob, thank you so much. I don't know who you are, but your comments greatly encourage me! I'm wondering if you are a writer, it seems you have experience as one. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my work.
DeleteI definitely plan to write more blog stories that are on the lighter side this coming year. I think most readers enjoy that magic ingredient indeed.
With choosing what to write and to share with others, I agree.. and thank you for reminding me that. Sometimes I get too emotional with my writing that I forget that I'm sort of involving other people's lives and that is not right.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading my story Teresa. It's easy to get carried away when we start sharing about people and situations so close to our hearts. Passionate writing is important, but we are always trying to find that balance.
ReplyDeleteHi Di,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on 1 Year! That's huge. I could so relate to many of your thoughts. I think the best writers are the most vulnerable. So ... Go, Di! Keep bravely sharing your heart. You're helping the rest of us not feel alone in our struggles. :)
Peggi,
DeleteI am really grateful that we connected! I am always inspired when I read your blog, and your encouraging words about mine have been a big blessing to me.
Di such a great blog. I think you are a terrific writer. They way you open your life's experiences is refreshing and in my opinion pleasant. It reminds me there are other humans out there who have human life lol. Keep up the good work dear. Southernboy :)
ReplyDeleteOh Southernboy, I am so happy to see you back! You keep reading, I'll keep writing. I'm so glad you enjoy what I share here! Your feedback really helps me too.
ReplyDeleteHappy Belated Blogiversary! I'm one of your newest cheerleaders :)
ReplyDeleteFacing our fears and being honest is hard, but the results are worth it.
Keep up the inspiration!
Thanks Luna! I am so happy that we can support each other. It's a privilege.
ReplyDelete