Monday, May 12, 2014

Momisms



"Do as I say, but not as I do." - Mom
She would say that one as a joke, sort of.

My understanding of  Mom's unspoken rule was "You can say as I say, but only some of the things I say. Be careful where you say it, depending on which thing you say. Like, maybe don't say it to the pastor at church."

Oh Mom, so many things you said through the years made me smile. A few still make me laugh out loud!



My mother was a strong, funny, scatter-brained, and faith- filled woman. She was kind, generous and very intelligent. She sometimes had a bad temper too. She knew how to love people.  She was my best friend for a long time.

She saw the humor in life. She was just....real. It was her very real and often funny approach to life that made her even more endearing to us.

1993 Potato relay race at kid's bday party. We were laughing to the point of crying.

"It sure is nice out today. I think I'll leave it out!"
I grew up with that line. She'd heard a DJ on a radio show say it. It cracked her up and she repeated it often on nice weather days.  Don't tell anyone, but I say it occasionally too.

I spent many of my early years in the beauty shop. Mom was a beautician. That's what hair stylists were called in the 1960's and 70's. She also did manicures.
I was spoiled during my growing up years to have my own personal stylist and manicurist.  She lived away from me only for a few years of my adult life, so I got to enjoy her beauty pampering in the later years too.

1987
My mother died when I was thirty-five. I wasn't prepared emotionally for how hard it would be to go to other salons, to find another hairstylist. The shampoo sinks and manicure tables were so familiar, but also brought tears for quite a while. The smells of hair color, perms and nail polish had the most powerful impact! Those scents took me right back to my years of hanging out with my Mom/BFF in her shop.

I finally met a lady who owned a home salon in my neighborhood. I liked her work, and she reminded me of Mom in many ways! I'd been going to her for haircuts for about a year, when she said something that made me feel even more "at home".  She was annoyed about something or someone (I don't remember specifics), and was telling me about it. During her rant, she exclaimed "OH HELL'S BELLS!!"
I laughed and almost fell out of the chair!  I told her that I hadn't heard anyone say that in years, but it was one of my mother's expressions.
I never picked that one up myself, but I still think it's funny.

One of my favorite memories/Momisms happened when I was a young teenager.  Our family (Dad, Mom, two younger siblings and I) watched the Miss America pageant every year. It was our annual tradition to eat popcorn during the show and pick our favorite contestants. We would try to predict the winner.
During the evening gown competition one year, Miss Some State was wearing quite a provocative gown.  It showed mucho flesh, even for a pageant in the seventies.
Mom looked up, saw the dress, and casually quipped "Looks like she's wearing her gownless evening strap tonight."
Now that's what I usually say when referring to just about any scantily clad woman. It just pops into my brain and sometimes out of my mouth. It can't be helped!                      

1972, baby sis was a newborn (not shown)
Obviously, my mother had a much deeper side. (I could write an entire book about her, and I just might some day.)

Mom did not allow us to curse or be rude and crude. She did show us by example how to find the humor in daily life situations, and express it accordingly! And appropriately. Or slightly inappropriately if that would be more appropriate.

I love and miss you Mom!  It's with the utmost respect that I share your wit and wisdom with my friends. And it's with appreciation that I remind all of us to lighten up!                        

                                                It's really okay, my Mom said so.












10 comments:

  1. Great work and remembrance of who I know was a great lady on "this side of the divide",and even more so on the other.Thanks for letting us"listen in on the next chair over"; and I didn't even need a cut or anything (did it myself today... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, you are an extra busy guy right now, so I appreciate even more that you took the time to read my story. Blessings my sweet friend. Thanks as always for your encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your "Mom" tribute, Diana. I love the first quote "...open mouth and my mother comes out." I can definitely relate. My mom's only been gone 1-1/2 yrs. now and I miss her terribly. Often, I find myself repeating her sayings. She's left such a deep influence on my life -- in both silly and profound ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggi,
      My heart goes out to you. Losing our mothers is such a life-changing experience, there is nothing to even compare it to.
      I so appreciate you visiting my blog again, and your sweet words of encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Very nice.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed hearing about your Mom. She had a fun sense of humor! I'm sorry you lost her when you were young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my story Susan. I'm so glad you enjoyed her sense of humor too!
      I appreciate your kind words. I rarely feel sad anymore about losing her. It's a privilege to give my readers at least a glimpse of what she was like and what she meant to me.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Diana!
    I don't know how in the world I'm just reading this, it is lovely!
    I know that you know how much this blog touches me, the last time I saw my mom was mother's day at MD Anderson and just happened to be her 48th birthday.

    While we all normally have divisions with our mothers as we grow up, nothing can fix the angst of losing them, whether we're in our teens or later years. No matter what, there is a hole left in our hearts that can never be filled.

    What a lovely credit to Leona, I remember your sweet Mama clearly and have many "bouffant" hair-style photos to her credit.

    Love you muchly,

    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Taffy,
    I have good memories of your mother too. What a great lady and she would be very proud of you today!
    I am so touched that my story meant a lot to you.
    Your friendship and support to me in everything, including my writing, is a wonderful gift! Love you Girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete