It's been seven weeks since I posted my last story here. That's the longest time gap I've had so far. I allowed myself to be distracted by...life. You know that there are times in life that are more unexpected, stressful and emotionally draining than others. I was reminded that those are the times that I should be especially vigilant about what attitudes are getting a grip on my mind and heart.
I almost finished writing a blog entry over a month ago. I closed the program late one night, thinking I'd finish and post it the next day. When I re-read my post, it just didn't sit right with me. I started doing some editing. Suddenly, I was hit in the the head with a big reality brick! My story was really a rant. It was negative, sarcastic, complaining. Snarky indeed! Words associated with "snarky", according to urbandictionary.com are: short-tempered, irritable, rude, bitchy.
My rant was entitled "Facebook Wisdom", and I complained about the posts that annoy me in various ways. I thought it was sort of humorous. Then I tried to make it seem noble with a proclamation of my staunch defense of free speech for all, no matter who dislikes it (even if it's me)!
I will save that one as a life lesson reminder, but I'll never post it.
I don't think it's necessarily wrong to vent once in a while, especially to a family member or good friend. However, isn't there more than enough self-centered, cranky venting on the web already?
The brick that hit me in the head was in two parts: BAM! I harshly complained about so many people being so negative on Facebook. See the irony in that? WHOP! I read the purpose statement at the top of my blog, and my personal notes about my goals for writing. Optimist, encouraging, empathize and healing were some words that jumped out at me.
I'd let a judgmental, impatient attitude blind me to my real dreams and goals. Not only for my writing, but for my everyday life. I then got very discouraged and considered putting my blog on hold indefinitely.
We are all only human and that is really okay! What I have learned though, is that that we must remember how weak we can be, how vulnerable during hard times. It is like the pebble that hits the pond, that ripple effect! Difficult times, stress, anger, negative attitudes, discouragement, loss of motivation, giving up....
Have a plan in place before the next life crisis hits. Write it down! In what ways can you stop that ripple effect? I have been trying to learn specific strategies for those times, knowing full well that they WILL happen again!
A big brick can be a blessing in disguise. That is, if it knocks you in the head hard enough that the impact spins you around 180 degrees. BAM! That'll leave a mark!
But at least now I am headed in the right direction again.



Great post; now I'll have to think at least once, the next time I am tempted to "rant".. :-)
ReplyDeleteAh, go ahead, Kenneth. I don't think you have a ranting bone in your body! Thank you for taking the time to read my post and to comment.
DeleteYou have definitely hit some salient points. I for one often enjoy being snarky. I don't take too many fb posts seriously. I just enjoy 'em, then move on. Rant away, any time! Beats storing it up and exploding!
ReplyDeleteHi Anonymous. I don't know who you are, but you must know me! I do indeed tend to hold stuff in, sometimes I really should't. I don't usually take fb posts seriously, but I let them bug me much more when I was having my bad day. I mean week. Ok, month.
DeleteThank you for your comment!
Thank you - your post made me reassess something I'd posted on Facebook -- and I deleted it. In pointing out where a magazine was being mean to two women, I was being unkind to the magazine, which I believe is primarily run by women. This is the opposite of MY purpose, also. Thanks for the "brick," which I needed.
ReplyDeleteSusan- I am encouraged to know that my post helped you to see something you needed to see! Thanks so much for letting me know. You really "got" me on this one, the real message I was trying to convey.
DeleteIf everyone was as caring and self conscious as you firefly the world would be a much better place. You almost ranted but instead caught yourself and helped others not to rant.
ReplyDeleteAnother great blog.
Thanks very much, Mr. Cartwright. I appreciate this comment and I appreciate YOU even more. I will always give you the credit for getting me over that invisible fear barrier, and being my number one encourager when I first started blogging. I am so glad you were able to leave a comment this time.
Delete