Sunday, February 2, 2014

I Sacrificed my Dignity for a Friend



I want to share a story of great sacrifice on my part. I am not trying to brag, but it's a story that needs to be told.  It's a story of humiliating myself all in the name of friendship! I am not sure I know of many others who would do what I did to help a friend in need!



I guess it wasn't all that humiliating, because only my long-time gal pal Jill was there to witness it. She encouraged me to do it.

What a blessing to have close friends! The memories of sharing, laughing, crying, hard times and great times. Those friends who know your secret stuff, and you know theirs, and you still love each other anyway.  You'd even break into their house if you had to. Let me explain.




Jill is one of my besties, to be sure! She and I are the same age and have been friends for about twenty years. Our kids grew up together. Words can't really express what this sweet lady means to me.  
A few years ago, she had hip surgery. I had given her a ride to her doctor's appointment the following week.  The outing took longer than expected.

When we got back to her house, she was exhausted and her pain was increasing. She realized that she didn't have her house key! She was leaning on her walker while we tried to figure out what to do.

First, we tried to see if the window screens might still be loose from the time they'd had to break in before. Nope. We checked all the windows, just to be sure. No luck.
Jill suddenly said "Oh, we have a doggie door in the back! "  I looked at her in dismay. She could barely hobble around or bend or anything. I assumed SHE wasn't planning to crawl through the doggie door! Hmmm.

"What size is it??" I asked.  "I think it's medium or large. You can probably fit through it."  I could tell that she was really getting uncomfortable and very tired. She looked a bit pale to me. I was worried about her. We had to do something! "Let's go see."

I assessed the little square opening. I got on my hands and knees, I stuck my head and shoulders through. So far, so good.  "Let's try this!" said I, in my most determined voice. I am not a tiny person. I am not a huge person. Medium lady, medium sized pet flap thingy? Should work!!

I laid down on my stomach on the porch. Then I laid on my side. I was trying different angles to see if it would make a difference for the success of the covert operation! First my head, then shoulders. I started laughing. I couldn't help it! Not a good idea. Jill started laughing too. I said "Now if I can get my....(well, you know) through, I think the rest of my body can fit!"  We both were hee-hawing by then, so hard that I couldn't function! I could only lay there laughing! I could feel the edges of the doggy door pressing against my arm pits!  I think there was also some joking about hunky firemen coming to cut me out, if I really got stuck.

Jill's chuckling was mixed with sighs of pain, so I knew I had to re-gain control and get the rest of myself into the house!  So, I pushed and got my chest through the little square. Then I was able to prop up on my elbows and pull the rest of me in. Waaahhh!  I made it!


My dear friend and I have shared almost every type of life experience, and now this hilarious one makes it even better! It's great because of the funny memory, but mostly because: NOW YOU OWE ME BIG-TIME, GIRLFRIEND!

When Jill pays me back someday, maybe it will be embarrassing enough for me to share here on my blog. 

Until then, I am asking YOU, my readers, to share your funny and/or embarrassing stories. Share in the comment section below. You can remain anonymous if you wish. This is an interactive blog. Thank you!







14 comments:

  1. Laughing would've made Jill feel pain even more, you know... And that's why she would've laughed even more... I know... I used to feel like laughing most when I had my appendix removed... And trust me, it hurt :P

    Jill should really be thankful to the Lord. She must have done a lot of good in life to deserve a friend like you :)

    Cheers, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Vishal! Yes, I think my dear Jill and I are equally thankful for each other.
    She has recently offered to help me with something of a more serious nature; she's a huge blessing me to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love this story! Reminds me of the time I thought I could fit through "something" (nope, not telling, too embarrassing) but thankfully, reason won out and I didn't attempt.

    A true friend is always willing to humiliate and/or put herself on the line, no matter what the cost, "get er done"!

    My funny story is when I moved to CO Springs after my divorce. My dear friend Ann went with me on the journey from TN to CO, along with my dog Casey. Our favorite CD was "Indigo Girls, 1200 Curfews" Boy did we rock those harmonies! We made the trip in 1 1/2 days. Exhausted, we checked into a motel, ordered room service and showered to get the road trip stink off of us.

    High from the road-trip and me starting my new life, we decided (stupidly) that we wanted to hear IG one last time that night and went out the sliding glass door to my car, leaving the dog inside. You can guess the rest... Well, kinda...

    After much yelling ( and dare I say it, cursing) and looking at the dog in the room through the sliding glass door, we realized we were locked out (we had already did the safety thingy on the front door and the connecting door)

    The other issue was that while one of us ( won't say who, but it was me) had her jammies on plus wrapped herself in an afghan, the other one (Ann, Ann, Ann) had only a night-gown on and no undies! What to do, what to do???

    I ended up sacrificing my afghan for her and we went to the front desk. We were laughing so hard, we couldn't fully explain what had happened.

    To this day, I can't explain it, but they somehow opened up the door and my dog didn't bite anyone or get loose,

    Ann and I still howl about this story, good 15 years later.

    Sorry its so long, but you did ask...


    Much love,

    Taffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahaha "Taffy", I thought you'd likely sacrifice your dignity for ME, by telling a great story on yourself! Because you are one of my best blog cheerleaders!! Thanks, your story is too funny!

      Delete
  4. Lol. this is an awesome post and I think that is what true friends are for. I'm glad you both could make a positive out of a bad situation. I don't like losing my keys either and I seem to lose them every time I go to my mom's house to visit. Its like the couch swallows the keys. I look for to more funny stories like this. Although, I don't want to share any embarrassing stories, I have had my share of them. Great blog and great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking your time to read my story Sierra! Oh, I know about losing things too. I could do another story just about that! Ha.
      I'm so glad you enjoyed this and thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Ok, Di, I will fall on the sword... While in high-school, I was in the marching band. Knees higher, make "wine" with those cheeks. Yes, Mr. O really said that.

    There I was, strutting all my glory and felt "flap, flap, flap"

    To my horror, looked down and there was the panty hose in my jeans I had worn the day before hanging out my right leg! I did kinda of a march, "thap, pull it it out" march, "thap, pull it out" thingy until I could stuff the gosh-darn thing out and balled up in my pocket

    No wonder I never had a prom date...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! The horror and hilarity of it all!! Great story! Thank you for falling on the sword, Anonymous.

      Delete
  6. Diana , that's what make you unique........You're silly , funny and sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, anonymous-person-who-I-think-I-know! What a nice thing to say! Write to me and reveal yourself if I know you! I so appreciate you reading my blog.

      Delete
  7. This is so funny! Quite the image!

    I don't have any stories of when I embarrassed myself for a friend, but when my poor beloved roommate came down with mono. Our local hospital in the middle of rural nowhere had sent her home with a cold, and 48 hours later she woke me up in the middle of the night with a full-fledged case of mono. She was in her lacy lingerie, with her lymph nodes the size of grapefruits, clutching a puke bucket. Her boyfriend and I ended up wrapping her in someone's old bathrobe, driving her into the next province, fighting with the staff over her British Colombian health card, and having to interpret her hysterical wails to her mother when she called her long-distance. Not a great night for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Janel, yours is the kind of story that makes me laugh and cry at the same time. You gave quite a picture of your pitiful sick friend. I am assuming she survived, so now all of you can look back and laugh. I am sure she is very grateful to you and her boyfriend!
      I appreciate your comments and participating!

      Delete
  8. Had a friend that had a friend whose uncle had a buddy that knew a guy that had a nephew that once got caught while streaking around a Pizza Hut on a dare. Now if anyone can come up with a reason why you'd WANT to catch someone streaking, wish they would share. :) Great post Di.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I am trying to think of why I'd want to catching someone streaking, because I think I'll write an entire blog entry of all the reasons it would be entertaining!
      Thank you so much for reading my story and for your funny comment!

      Delete