![]() |
| I can't believe I found this photo to go with my story! |
Irony (noun)- a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected. (Taken from Merriam-Webster online dictionary)
I want to share some observations from mundane daily life that have made me stop and think, but mostly pause and laugh. I am not ashamed to say...some of these things have made me giggle with glee! I know that at least some of you share my easily-entertained outlook on life.
Ahh...Wal Mart moments. A recent scene that is still vivid in my mind is that of a tiny lady and a young boy who was about age ten. I say tiny lady... well she was, compared to me. My guess is that she was 5'2" and 110 lbs. She was noticeably struggling to push her shopping cart. I guessed it was because the boy, who was at least her same size, was laying on his stomach on the bottom rack of the cart. His head was in front, feet hanging out the back. What's wrong with this picture??
Another situation that I remember also paired big and small together. Last year on the annual dog show, the handler of the Great Dane was a lady approximately five feet tall. A person obviously very experienced with dogs. Silly I know, but I thought it was just hilarious that the dog was literally bigger than his handler! My laughter at this came the perfect moment, as I was down in the dumps that day.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/23/2012-national-dog-show-purina-winners_n_2175782.html#slide=1793480
How about this one? Would anyone else find the following scenario odd? The ring tone for the cell of the sweet-looking, gray haired, elderly looking woman in the doctor's office was "Super Freak".
"Super Freak! Super Freak! She's super freaky....yeow!" (Imagine that in my best Rick James voice.)
My final example is not as funny to me, but I can still laugh because it's just too common.
I have raised two children to adulthood. The Mom experience was the greatest blessing and one of the hardest roller-coaster rides of my life. I have been in more than one conversation with a person who was highly opinionated about how children should be raised, what many parents are doing wrong, blah blah blah. You know what I am going to say next, don't you? Yes, those were people who never had children. Oh HECK, I handled myself diplomatically. I wonder now if I should have spoken my mind more bluntly?
Those who really know me, know that really would be unexpected! I am not one to just go telling people off. (My husband and kids don't count.) I have done it before before though, after I felt that I was really pushed to my limit.
In this Facebook society, I frequently see people ranting with an authoritative air, about topics they don't know much about. Almost a hundred percent of the time, it gives me just another reason to laugh. This is the perfect place in my story to quote my Mom: "Those people are educated beyond their intelligence." If one definition of irony is "a situation that is strange or funny because it seems to be the opposite of what you would expect", then I think daily life is becoming less ironic. I am learning to expect the unexpected and hope to get a chuckle from it. Those moments make my days lighter and brighter.


I loved this post! I wish I could post under my name http://dianereedwiter.wordpress.com
ReplyDeleteBut as I said somehow this site doesn't recognize wordpress and soooo I have to post under annonomys but hopefully you recognize me!
I remember once when my daughter was about 3 I let her ride under the cart! NOW I warn other parents what happened to my sweet baby~ when I didn't notice but she started running her fingers on the wheels!!! Can you guess what happened next?! I felt like the worst and most stupid mother in the entire world at that moment! She had a black nail for a few weeks till it fell off!! :( Weirdly enough some people act like I've intruded when I share my story. I'm not even on FB doing it! LOL.
I agree about the advice. I've read stuff that is also totally wrong. Just dead on NOT right. Or the ones that really get me is when you ask a question and someone comments: "I don't know." Soooo don't comment!!!! duhhh! Grrr. lol. Great post!
Di
Hi Di,
ReplyDeleteOf course I remember you! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and support me. Thanks for your comment here and on my last story too!
Another great story Diana! Love it! Reading your writing makes me miss seeing you! --Chris
ReplyDeleteOh thanks Chris! You are a sweetheart and I miss you too! Your support means a lot.
DeleteEnjoyed it Diana
ReplyDeleteHilarious,
ReplyDeleteLove that great dane pic. You are getting me convinced that often life is more funny then fiction .