Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Twice Adopted (Part 3)


My father's first cousin R. helped me the most. In fact....he took on the task of helping me find DJ. We connected. He really understood my need to find my father and know about my roots. They had been close as kids and teens but had lost touch. He knew some things about DJ though, because he had stayed in contact with DJ's sister.  It had not been easy at all for my father.

R and I established a good long-distance relationship (He was in Texas, I was in Missouri)  He learned that DJ was in Hawaii. He gave me a phone number.  When I got my courage up to call a few days later, there was no answer.

The next week, R. called me. He told me he had bad news. I braced myself.  My father had died six weeks before I got his phone number.  I had that "punched in the gut" sensation.  It seemed worse to know that he had died so recently. Six weeks ago? WHAT???

Now, that is not the end of my story. Oh no it isn't.  My story has a good ending.

First, the task of getting closure and beginning a different kind of grieving.  I was able to find out where DJ had died. My cousin R did not have details, and didn't know who did. I was on my own.  I called the hospital in Hawaii, explained my unique situation to a lady there. She listened.  She was kind.  She wanted to help but her hands were tied.

About a week later, I got an unexpected call.  My caller ID showed a Hawaii area code!  The attending physician to my father's death called me. He asked me a few questions, then he answered all of mine. He likely broke all kinds of rules to do that. He followed his heart to help a stranger.  Through that doctor, I came to understand how very ill DJ was and that he had suffered for a while.  Very sad, of course. Hard to hear, yes.  But it put my troubled, questioning mind to rest, at least to an extent.  To me, this call was a mini-miracle.


My second cousin R. and I grew closer over time. We started writing and calling on a regular basis. He became more like an uncle to me. Remember, he was the same age as my father. He shared funny childhood memories of times he'd had with DJ. Once, I was having a very hard day dealing with everything. I got a letter from R. that day that made me smile through tears. He told the story of when he and DJ were in Jr, high, and decided to make a pineapple upside-down cake.  They destroyed the kitchen but ended up with a delicious cake!

He told me that sharing those good times with me helped him; he was grieving too.

He started sending photos and newspaper articles about my father's side of the family, going way back. Genealogy.  What gifts of time, effort and love he shared! For me, a stranger.

Not only that, but he took much interest in my family, my brother and his family too. He sent cards and/or called on holidays, without fail! Mom had told me that R. was one of the kindest, most giving people she'd ever met. This proved to be true to me also.

I got to go visit R. a couple of years later, and met his family.  It was wonderful!  About a year after that, I was his guest at family reunion in New Mexico. I was welcomed in by people I didn't know and met folks who looked like me. It was kind of fun, a little awkward, but mostly it was heart-healing!

My story really is about two things: adoption and grace.
The title is "Twice Adopted", referring to my first adoption by my Dad, who raised me. He was I will go visit him in two weeks. I haven't seen him in years. This is very big life event to me!


The second adoption is about my faith in God as my Father. I became a believer as a very young child. I believe with all my heart that He adopted me, chose me.  It is because of His grace ( unmerited divine assistance, favor) that I have received everything in my life.

I wonder now if I should have entitled my story "Three Times Adopted".  My uncle-father figure R. adopted me into his heart and took me under his wing. He has since passed away too. This story is dedicated to him.





6 comments:

  1. I also sincerely thank my husband for his part in helping me through that very rough time in my life.
    I must also mention S., my dear neighbor and girlfriend, who listened to me many times, as I recounted my father dreams to her, cried a lot and showed her old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very touching story Di. You are very blessed indeed. I hope you have a wonderful visit with your dad. You are a remarkable woman. Yes you have had love and heartache in the past. Truly God has a favored hand on you. I look forward to the next chapter. Thank you for sharing such a great blog. Wes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story. Life really does have a lot of ups and downs and you definitely have taken them all in stride. Thanks for writing such a touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Diana! I read your writing and feel like I'm sitting next to you...your blog sounds just like your voice. Well done! --Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. While part one really had me hooked, I decided not to comment until I could sit down and read all parts in succession. What a bittersweet and poignant, yet beautifully woven story. As always, your words made me feel like I was going on your journey too. Your last lines really tugged at my heart-strings.
    This story made me think of all of the coulda, woulda, shoulda moments in my life. As an almost member of the big 5-0 club, I have learned (I think) to accept that everything happens or doesn't happen for a reason. I still struggle with it sometimes, but oh well, there you go.
    Thanks for sharing, I love you muchly ~taffy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Di too!
    I loved this. I met you on Linked and had to come and find your blog. My name is Diane and I commented on your blog post there. I am not sure what you are talking about! This is wonderful! Unfortunately, my wordpress... http:dianereedwiter.wordpress.com
    address won't let me sign here (I haven't tried yet) but I am sure it will make me sign Annon as I've tried to use my wordpress profile to comment on my other friend's blogspot blogs.
    But this is wonderful! I need to get ready for work and you held me all the way to the end! You definitely have the makings of someone who will be followed a lot! My whole mantra has always been touching one life at a time. So it is really who is touched by your stories that matters.... not how many! But I am sure you would do great on wordpress! No one said you only could have one blog! ;)
    Yeah would not let me publish under wordpress... says:
    YOUR OPEN ID credentials could not be verified! I read that this is a problem between blogspot and wordpress... anyway guess Anonymous it is!
    God Bless your life and your words!

    ReplyDelete