Have you ever had that weird and horrifying dream? The one
where you are at school, and everything is just fine, a normal day. Then the
bell rings and you get up from your desk, and you suddenly realize "I AM
NOT WEARING ANY PANTS!" You freak out and then you wake up.
In my quest to become a good blogger, I've been learning more about myself than about writing or anything else. I have been reminded that I'm in a huge club of humans who struggle with many of the same issues that I do. Issues that are matters of the heart and mind, more than of blogging.
It's not uncommon for a writer, a musician, an artist, an actor, or...(you name one) to get that naked and vulnerable feeling. You have spent time creating something, actually putting a part of yourself into it. You are finally pleased with it, and share it with people. Just like in the dream, you think that all is well, then all of a sudden you feel a cold breeze on your bum!
That cold breeze on your naked bum might be your own doubts creeping in. It might be some constructive (or not) criticism. It might be a sensation that chills you when there is no reaction at all. What if those kids see the real me? They are going laugh at my stupidity for coming to school only half-dressed! Maybe I should never go back to school again!
I have recently focused on improving my writing skills and learning from others' experiences. It's common for authors to struggle with procrastination, lack of motivation, various fears, etc. I know that these problems also plague most people who want to break out of their ruts! Applying for a new job, going back to school, starting to date again after a divorce....
I usually dislike labels. Sometimes though, they are helpful. Maybe it's more acceptable to label self instead of someone else. I know that I am a recovering people-pleaser and that I am too easily distracted.. (Those are only two of a longer list.) If you don't acknowledge a problem, you can't fix it, right? I blame these problems for my writing conflicts!
These self- labels are nicer ones: realistic optimist, creative, has a sense of humor, insightful, introspective, empathetic.
I have loved reading and writing since I was six years old. More than once through the years, I've considered writing a book You know, someday. The elusive someday.
Someday is here? SOMEDAY IS HERE!! I am not ready to write a book yet, but I am ready to pursue this dream of mine. I am fifty, I have raised my children, and my life/work is from home right now. This is my opportunity to just do it! I'll do it because I want to and I can! I'll do it to bring hope and encouragement to my readers about many different aspects of life. (See my statement under my blog title at top of page.)
I realize that I'll still encounter insecurities as I move forward with my blogging. Indeed, with many things in my day-to-day life. But when I feel the cold air hit my you-know-what, I'll remember that it's just a bad dream and it's fairly common. I so prefer the other common dream. You know, the one where you are just walking along, and suddenly your feet lift off the ground and you can fly! Yes, a much better dream.


There have been a few friends who have consistently been my encouraging cheerleaders from the beginning, and a few who have been willing to tutor me. I would have given up by now if it hadn't been for you all. I'm a writer, but I don't think words can adequately express my gratitude. I think you know who you are!
ReplyDeleteI've learned from this that I need to do more, thanks.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Tojo, and thank YOU for taking time to read my blog and comment! It means a lot to me.
ReplyDeletehilarious.... loved it.....
ReplyDeleteThank you Anonymous (I know who you are!!) I'm glad you got a laugh and enjoyed it! But....did you ever have that dream? Hmmm?
DeleteLoved it Diana. I always look forward to your posts. Hope there is not too much breeze on the bum. LOL
ReplyDeleteThan you for commenting and for so much more. I hope you recognized yourself in my comment above, thanking my faithful cheerleaders!
DeleteYou truly have a way with words, please don't stop. I'm always excited to read your new posts and am looking forward to your book, its already a best-seller, Christmas gifts for all next year!
ReplyDelete~Taffy
Oh Taffy! You make me smile every time. You are mentioned in the first comment above too, just so ya know!!
DeleteAaawww, thanks, girl, that makes me feel good. I really admire how willing you are to open yourself up and share your experiences. I'm so proud for you!
DeleteMuch love, my friend <3
I loved the Andy Warhol quote. For me, it's so appropriate.
ReplyDeleteI agree; your book is on my list!
Thank you so much, unknown Anonymous. I saw that quote and a couple of other good ones, as I was still considering this blog in my head and, yes, still having a few doubts. It was perfect and just what needed at the time.
DeleteAs someone else said, "writing is easy, just open a vein and let it flow". Trouble is, most folks aren't comfortable bleeding, or walking about naked for that matter.
ReplyDeleteArt can't be forced, but it can be coaxed, and you're doing the right things to facilitate it.
Hi Blake,
DeleteThanks so much for your words of support!
I suppose if I was a nudist....well, never mind. Ha!
Your great writing has been a helpful example to me.
This was fun, entertaining, and helpful. It's good to know that I am not alone in feeling "exposed" and vulnerable with my writing. I am new to really writing for others to see through blogging, and I know that I have a long way to go. Thank you for the post :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Jaxx! I was really hoping to encourage others with this piece, and not only expose myself. Wait, that doesn't sound quite right! Haha.
DeleteI am so glad you enjoyed it.
I look forward to reading your work.
This was a grwat read and very relatable! :)
ReplyDeleteI sure appreciate you taking the time to read and comment, Lilac Doll.
DeleteIt makes me feel better to know that you and a few others can relate to what I shared!
This is so true anyone could have written it but for one problem.....YOUR TALENT would be missing. You keep charging ahead girl.
ReplyDeleteFrankie, thanks very much for your friendship and encouraging words!
ReplyDelete