Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Happy Medium Space (my introductory blog)

Oprah's talk show ended a couple of years ago, and I never got to be one of her guests!  I mean really...I needed advice for my problems, I also had some wisdom to share and a few witty lines! I remember the first episode in 1986.  I watched Phil Donahue back then too, and Sally Jesse Raphael.  One day, the thought hit me: "I've got to stop filling my mind daily with other people's dirty laundry!" Even so, I was often entertained and inspired in a positive way.

I will likely never be on a talk show, but I know I want to keep writing. I have been doing it since childhood. I want to share my thoughts with others now. The question is: what kind of writing, and why.

I have contacted some published writers to get advice. The phrase "write what you know" has come up several times. I know my life experiences, what I think is funny, touching, important to me.  I also know that many of my friends "get me", and how I express myself.  They have told me they want to read more. (Thank you for your support as I continue my transition from "journaler" to "blogger.") Writers need readers.

Yes, writing is just my thing. See how eloquently I just wrote that!

Now, regarding those who won't find my blogs appealing.. I realize it's not a rejection of me.  It's going to happen. However, this is another personal rite of passage into adulthood. Yes, I am fifty now.  What I mean is, I am continuing my quest of not being overly concerned with what people think of me. Or being too worried about offending. 

I've been thinking about previous generations. Most of those folks didn't talk openly about personal issues or problems. They kept that stuff private!  The talk shows tell details, ad nauseam, and now we are in the facebook generation.  There has to be a happy medium! My plan is to share in that "medium space".  I'll share a bit of my heart, but I'll spare details that don't need to be told.  Some stories will be serious or sad.  On the sillier side, I'll tell on myself and others...embarrassing and funny events.  Balance, ya know!

The blogs I offer here will never compare to the juicy true stories on Oprah, but I'd appreciate you checking them out anyway.  Honestly let me know what you think (I'm petrified!), but yes, tell me. 





9 comments:

  1. I bet its all going to be good..... Love Ya


    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a great start; witty, thoughtful and literate. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me about a week to finally read your blog (I know, I am a little slow) and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Art! No, it only took you 3 days. No problem. Thanks again for your help.

      Delete
  4. Congrats Di,

    I liked your Blog, I am also learning about blogs. Could not get off yours, so am making my comment as Anonymous. Let me see if it will publish. Cuidate y laters amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much L! Ah, your unique closing gave you away, Amiga! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey its me, Jeni J. Loved your Christmas story on the other site and love your blogs, will definitely keep reading. Love ya and best of wishes

    ReplyDelete